8.12.10

One Way Ticket To Brown Town

Welcome to Brown Town
This is the first in a series of color wheels.
Why brown? Because brown, moreso than any color paint I own besides black, eats other colors. You can throw gobs of paint into brown and it will stay, mostly, brown. This is an exploration of that... brownness. Brownieness. Browntownliness.

I realize this color wheel does not represent actually color relations, from section to section. I was working with the paints I owned and fitting them into the dodecagonal shape, a shape I feel particularly drawn to. I wanted to get in all of the pigments I owned. Except black, because that's just ridiculous.

It was only toward the end of this painting that it began to remind me of this (SFW, at least currently). The other color wheels will not be so, um, evocative. I hope.

This painting generated a lot of gobs of excess paint. I hate wasting paint, because I am cheap, so I've begun to scheme a way to do "run-off" paintings with the left-over paint. These would be casual works; more exercises than anything else, simply to practice form and technique. To do that, I need a lot of cheap canvases. Hmmm, I think I know just where to get them.

My work is still in a didactic phase. I'm close to graduating from 'hobbyist' to 'enthusiast,' but not at the point where I'm willing to call myself "a painter." The work continues...

Andrew Jackson & Polk is looking pretty good, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment